Thursday 1 February 2018

The Start of My Online Business

Fresh Start

I have been away for a while completing my final year of university, working a full time office job and having a rocky but interesting dating life. Now I am here starting out as a freelance illustrator full-time. I am no longer at my previous employment but now self-employed on a creative journey and tackling my biggest challenges.

At first I was in shock but then after a few days I got myself together and started working towards my creative passion. I have always been self-sufficient and it is how I am going to continue to be.

When you find yourself newly self-employed after working since you were seventeen for big companies and in my case it is daunting and that fear of the unknown can be overwhelming. However, I have always wanted to be a freelance illustrator/artist and I am giving it my best shot.

It is not easy. There have been bumps in the road. Mixed emotions. Lots of areas for improvement. They are parts of the journey. I am doing what I love and it will not be smooth sailing but I am happier than I have ever been. 

I budget, pay all the bills on time, have the tools I need, eat better than I did last year, exercise a few days a week, have a weird but great family and friends and have a roof over my head. I am grateful for what I have and as long as I have what I need I can focus on my artwork. 

I used to obsess over printmaking years ago and then was intimidated by it and felt like I was not good enough for this field, so I gave up. This was how I felt drawing portraits as I compared myself to the many talented portrait artists and illustrators around the world. I stopped and felt unworthy of drawing. I felt low but I was still and currently obsessed with art, portraiture and printmaking. The comparison game can be deadly and crush you. I feel it sometimes but getting back into portraiture and printmaking was the perfect opportunity for me to get back into the game and helping form my business. Also, I hated Abstract art years ago but have come to appreciate it and be fascinated by the process. I like to think I have matured a lot more since my foundation art degree 18 year old me. This is an area of art I use to experiment and play around with mixed media in my journals. It is very therapeutic.

I have doubts sometimes but to help me grow I push aside the negative feelings and create. I do not have a distinguished style and a lot of work but I am ok with that. I am on a creative, scary and exciting journey and I feel awesome!

The beginning of my journey so far: 

  • Decluttered my life
  • Invested in the materials and tools
  • Put together a business plan
  • Created a competitor analysis
  • Revamped my website and online stores
  • Gained new online stores
  • Acquired social media business accounts
  • Made a financial report to help me budget
  • Constantly working on my SEO
  • Journaling my ideas down
  • I create 

If anyone has suddenly lost their job, been fired or taken the leap to quit and decided to follow their dream passion I would love to hear about your experiences and journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment